iPhone hackers Chronic Dev Team and the iPhone Dev Team have released the long-awaited untethered jailbreak for A4 devices such as the iPhone 4, 3GS, iPod touch third and fourth generation, and the iPad 1 running iOS 5.0.1. So if you have one of those devices running iOS 5.0.1, you can now untethered jailbreak it. This untethered jailbreak was created first by hacker pod2g and finished by Chronic Dev Team and the iPhone Dev Team after pod2g passed the jailbreak to them so they could finish it and he could focused on finishing the untethered jailbreak for A5 devices like the iPhone 4S and iPad 2.
If you already have your device on a tethered jailbreak on iOS 5.0.1, all you have to do is apply the untethered jailbreak from Cydia. This can be done by going to Cydia, search for Corona 5.0.1 Untether, download it and install it.
Untether jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 using Corona 5.0.1 Untether
1. Launch Cydia on your tethered device
2. Search for Corona 5.0.1 Untether
3. Download it and Install it.
Not on tethered jailbreak iOS 5.0.1:
If your device currently have a lower iOS version that is not 5.0.1, update to 5.0.1 stock firmware. Then download redsn0w 0.9.10 for Windows or Mac so you could tether jailbreak your device and download Cydia. Now follow the steps below, which are very easy.
2. Open up redsn0w in the extracted files, choose Jailbreak and put your device on DFU mode by following the instructions on the screen.
3. After you put the device on DFU mode, select install Cydia, redSn0w will apply the untethered jalbreak to your device. Now all you have to do is wait until the device reboot and the device should now have an unethered jailbreak on iOS 5.0.1.
image source: 3gvs4g.org greenpoison