Sony has finally and officially announced during a press conference in Tokyo that the PlayStation Network/Qriocity services will be restore this week after it was taken down by a cyber-attack. Sony said the restoration of the PlayStation Network will be by phased region. Sony also announced that the restoration of the PlayStation Network will bring enhance security and implementation of new methods to detect unauthorized activity from users.
This is what Sony said on how they will roll out the initial phase of the restoration of the PlayStation Network:
- Restoration of Online game-play across the PlayStation®3 (PS3) and PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) systems
-This includes titles requiring online verification and downloaded games
- Access to Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity for PS3/PSP for existing subscribers
- Access to account management and password reset
- Access to download un-expired Movie Rentals on PS3, PSP and MediaGo
- Friends List
- Chat Functionality
They also talk about new measurements to protect users information and detect unauthorized activity from users. This is what they said it includes in the new security measures they implemented:
- Added automated software monitoring and configuration management to help defend against new attacks
- Enhanced levels of data protection and encryption
- Enhanced ability to detect software intrusions within the network, unauthorized access and unusual activity patterns
- Implementation of additional firewalls
Sony also said they are planning to move of the system to a new data center in a different location which they have been working on for several months. Another thing they mentioned is that only the first system associated with your PSN account will be able to change the password, or through validated email confirmation.
The company also said that they are working with law enforcement to find out who was responsible for the hacking of the PSN and prosecute them responsible for the illegal intrusion.
Sony will also compensate its users with a “Welcome Back” program that will be offered to everyone worldwide. The ”Welcome Back” Program will include:
- Each territory will be offering selected PlayStation entertainment content for free download. Specific details of this content will be announced in each region soon.
- All existing PlayStation Network customers will be provided with 30 days free membership in the PlayStation Plus premium service. Current members of PlayStation Plus will receive 30 days free service.
- Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity subscribers (in countries where the service is available) will receive 30 days free service.