Skype for iPhone today received a major update, Skype 5.0. The update brings a new faster and smoother redesigned interface to the app with new features and changes. The app now puts recent conversations fist and allows you to create groups, sharing photos and video messages with those who are even offline. The update also makes it easier to make video and voice calls to those users.
- Overall performance improvements – faster start up and fluid animations.
- A new modern hub centric design putting recent conversations first – just swipe to see your favourite people or contacts.
- Richer and more reliable messaging: create groups, share photos (even to offline contacts) and video messages.
- In-app notifications for quick conversation switching, and in-app controls to manage notifications.
- A new simplified, modern voice and video calling experience.
The update is currently available in the Canadian App Store. The Skype app has been temporarily removed from the US and European App Store, but the updated app should be available once the app is back again in the App Store. Skype also said a separate version for the iPad should be available soon.