The PlayStation 4 DualShock 4 controller is a gorgeous gaming remote. Like the Xbox One controller, you can use your DualShock 4 controller to play PC games on your computer. You don’t need to own a PS4 for this – you can just buy the controller separately. This can be done through traditional USB pairing or even a Bluetooth connection if your laptop/computer has an integrated Bluetooth card. Here’s what you’ll need to do to play PC games using your PS4 DualShock 4 controller…
You’ll first need to have the following:
- DualShock 4 controller
- Micro USB cable
- Windows PC with Microsoft .NET 4.5 or higher
- DS4Windows (download from GitHub)
Connect PS4 DualShock controller on PC via USB
The most common way of using a DualShock 4 controller on a Windows-based PC is by using a USB cable, since many laptop or computers don’t have Bluetooth cards. For this you’ll need a micro USB cable, Windows PC with Microsoft .NET 4.5 or higher, and the DS4Windows software.
1. Extract the downloaded DS4Windows folder program to you desktop, you should have two programs – DS4Updater and DS4Windows.
2. Open up DS4Windows and select where your settings and profiles data should be saved.
3. A window should now pop up showing you how to download the drivers. Select the first option that says, “Install the DS4 Driver.” If you’re running Windows 7 or earlier, as the program says in step 2, you will need to download and install the Xbox 360 driver from Microsoft Software Downloads.
4. After that, restart your computer, run DS4Windows and connect the DualShock 4 controller to your computer using a micro USB cable.
The DS4 controller should now be paired with your computer. You’ll notice that you can use the DualShock 4 touchpad as your computer mouse.
Setting up PS4 DualShock 4 controller on PC via Bluetooth
If your computer has Bluetooth integrated, another option you have is using your PS4 controller wirelessly with the PC. To do this, you’ll simply need to pair your controller with your computer after completing the steps written above. To pair your computer with your DualShock 4 controller…
1. Open up the Bluetooth settings of your computer by typing ‘Bluetooth settings’ in the Start menu.
2. Now hold the PS Button and Share button for three seconds until the light bar double flash.
3. Select “Wireless Controller” and Pair. If it ask for a password, just type 0000.